Strong & Sturdy
The most common type of braces at Elm Tree Orthodontics are metal braces. These orthodontic workhorses have a long history of successfully straightening smiles at every age for patients in Hamden, New Haven, North Haven, and the surrounding areas.
About Metal Braces
Metal braces provide patients with superior comfort and faster treatment achieved with fewer appointments.
Metal braces are self-ligating brackets that eliminate the need for metal ties associated with traditional metal braces. With high-tech memory wires, these metal braces move teeth more quickly and effectively.
Metal braces feature self-ligating brackets, which hold archwires in place without the use of traditional elastic ties.
On the surface, they look much like standard metal braces, but this advanced system has considerable advantages that make it a great choice for many of our patients.
Instead of getting your wires tightened and your elastics switched out during your appointments with us, metal braces have a slide mechanism that attaches the wires to your brackets.
The memory wires used by the metal brace wire system move teeth gradually, with less pressure than traditional braces, making them more comfortable. As your teeth move into place, the wires tighten.
Why Choose Metal Braces?
Our Hamden & North Haven patients choose the metal brace system for their orthodontic treatment because:
- Treatment duration is shorter—studies show an average 6-month reduction in treatment time
- There’s less time needed for in-office visits since there are fewer manual adjustments needed
- Metal braces are less painful than traditional braces, causing very little discomfort
- Friction is reduced, which means there’s less damage to the tooth enamel
- Oral health is improved because plaque cannot accumulate around the elastic ties
- With metal braces, palatal expanders and extractions are rarely needed
- Metal braces can create better facial aesthetics, with a fuller smile, better facial balance, smoother cheek contours, and an improved profile
- Metal braces are less bulky than traditional metal braces, making them more comfortable and easier to get used to. While the metal brace system is appropriate for all ages, adults especially appreciate the ease and speed of treatment.
Cost of Metal Braces
The metal brace system is similar in cost to traditional metal braces, but it may depend on your individual treatment plan. The good news is that if your Connecticut dental insurance covers orthodontic treatment, metal braces are covered to the same extent as regular braces.
You can also use funds in your flexible spending or health savings accounts can also be used for your treatment at Elm Tree Orthodontics.